Project Planning & Timelines
How long does it take to create a custom piece?
The production timeline for custom jewelry pieces varies depending on the complexity of the design.
In-stock items are processed and shipped within 3-5 business days.
Special Orders (made-to-order, special orders, or back-ordered items) may take as little as 2 weeks and up to 2 months to fulfill, depending on the product. If you have a strict deadline, please reach out to us before placing an order, and we will do our best to accommodate.
Custom Designs may take 3 to 8 weeks (timing will vary by complexity) and will be processed and shipped within 3-5 business days of completion.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call/text us at 312 291 1436.
Natural/Earth Mined vs Lab Grown Diamonds
What is the difference between lab-grown diamonds and gemstones and earth-mined diamonds and gemstones?
Lab-grown diamonds and gemstones are created in a controlled environment using advanced technology, while earth-mined diamonds and gemstones are naturally formed over millions of years beneath the Earth's surface. Here are some key differences between the two:
- Origin: Lab-grown diamonds and gemstones are created using specialized processes that replicate the conditions under which natural gemstones form. Earth-mined diamonds and gemstones are extracted from mines after being formed deep within the Earth over millions of years.
- Environmental impact: Lab-grown diamonds and gemstones have a lower environmental impact compared to earth-mined stones, as they require fewer resources and do not contribute to deforestation or ecosystem disruption.
- Ethical concerns: Lab-grown diamonds and gemstones eliminate concerns related to conflict or unethical mining practices often associated with earth-mined stones.
- Price: Lab-grown diamonds and gemstones are generally more affordable than their earth-mined counterparts, as the production process is more controlled and less resource-intensive.
- Quality: Lab-grown diamonds and gemstones can be of equal or even superior quality to earth-mined stones. They have the same chemical, physical, and optical properties, and can be graded using the same standards.
- Rarity: Earth-mined diamonds and gemstones are considered rare and more valuable due to their natural origin and the unique circumstances that led to their formation.
We offer both lab-grown and earth-mined diamonds and gemstones to cater to a variety of preferences and budgets. Our team can help you decide which option is the best fit for your custom engagement ring or jewelry piece.
What is the difference between White Gold and Platinum?
White gold and platinum are both popular choices for engagement rings and other jewelry, but they have distinct properties and characteristics. Here are the main differences between the two:
- Composition: White gold is an alloy made from yellow gold mixed with other metals such as palladium, silver, or nickel to give it a white appearance.
- Durability: White gold is a strong and durable metal, but it requires occasional rhodium plating to maintain its shine and color.
- Price: White gold is generally more affordable than platinum due to its lower cost of materials and production.
- Maintenance: White gold requires periodic rhodium plating to maintain its lustrous white appearance, as the plating can wear off over time.
- Allergies: Some individuals may experience allergic reactions to white gold if it contains nickel. Opting for a nickel-free alloy can help prevent this issue.
- Composition: Platinum is a naturally white, dense, and highly durable metal.
- Durability: Platinum is more durable and resistant to wear and tear than white gold. It does not require rhodium plating and maintains its color over time.
- Price: Platinum is more expensive than white gold due to its rarity, density, and higher production costs.
- Maintenance: Platinum requires less maintenance than white gold, as it does not need rhodium plating. However, it may develop a patina over time, which can be polished to restore its original luster.
- Allergies: Platinum is hypoallergenic, making it an excellent choice for individuals with sensitive skin or metal allergies.
Our recommendation depends on your preferences, budget, and lifestyle. If you prefer a more affordable option with a bright white appearance and don't mind occasional maintenance, white gold may be the right choice for you. If you're seeking a more durable, low-maintenance, and hypoallergenic option, platinum could be a better fit. Our experienced team can help guide you through the decision-making process to find the perfect metal for your custom engagement ring or jewelry piece.
What other precious metals do you offer, and can you tell me more about rose gold, yellow gold, and their different karats?
In addition to white gold and platinum, we offer a variety of other precious metals, including rose gold and yellow gold, to cater to your preferences and style. Each metal has its unique characteristics and color variations depending on the karat.
- 14K Yellow Gold: 14K yellow gold has a cooler-tone, slightly paler tone compared to 18K, as it contains a lower percentage of gold (58.5%) and a higher percentage of alloy metals. It's more durable and scratch-resistant due to the additional alloy metals.
- 18K Yellow Gold: 18K yellow gold has a richer, warmer tone because it contains a higher percentage of gold (75%) and a lower percentage of alloy metals. It's softer and more prone to scratches compared to 14K gold but is considered more valuable due to the higher gold content.
- 14K Rose Gold: 14K rose gold has a softer, more subtle pink tone, as it contains a lower percentage of gold (58.5%) and a higher percentage of copper and silver alloys. This combination makes it more durable and resistant to wear and tear.
- 18K Rose Gold: 18K rose gold has a deeper, more coppery pink tone due to the higher percentage of gold (75%) and a lower percentage of alloy metals. It's slightly softer and more prone to scratches compared to 14K rose gold, but its rich color and higher gold content make it a popular choice.
Our experienced team can help guide you through the selection process to choose the ideal metal and karat for your custom engagement ring or jewelry piece, considering factors such as appearance, durability, and budget.
Sizing and Fit
How do I determine my ring size?
We can provide guidance on measuring your ring size, or you can visit our store for professional sizing.
What are some helpful sizing tips to consider?
Getting the right ring size is crucial for comfort and to prevent potential damage to your custom jewelry piece. Here are some helpful tips to consider when sizing:
- Factors Affecting Finger Size: Water weight, bloating, sodium, weather, and alcohol can cause your finger size to fluctuate between 1/2 to 1 whole size. Be aware of these factors when getting sized.
- Top Heavy Rings: For engagement rings or top-heavy designs, opt for a snug fit or choose 0.25 size smaller, as the ring may twist and turn easily. Rings tend to feel loose once your finger gets used to wearing them.
- Sizing Up vs. Down: It's safer to go up in size rather than down, especially for rings with many side stones or complex designs. Sizing should always be evaluated and performed by a master bench jeweler.
- Eternity Bands: For eternity bands or rings with a continuous pattern, choose a loose fit. Eternity rings cannot be sized up or down without disrupting the pattern or structure. Sizing adjustments can be made with a thicker interior or sizing shots.
- Size Estimates: Most people can comfortably wear a ring up to 1.5-2 sizes larger or 3/4 size smaller. However, it's always best to get an exact fit. Consult a trained jeweler for advice on sizing limits for specific designs.
- Sizing Wide Bands: Wide bands tend to feel more snug. Measure the base, middle, and knuckle of your finger and get an average of the three measurements. This usually results in a size 0.5-0.75 larger than your regular size.
- Ring Adjustments: If your ring is too big or spins and cannot be resized, consider adding a bridge or sizing shots. These small metal balls can be added to the interior of the ring for a more secure fit. Sizing belts can also be used at home for temporary adjustments.
It's important to consult a professional jeweler when determining the best ring size for your custom engagement ring or jewelry piece to ensure a perfect fit and maintain the structural integrity of the design.
Care, Cleaning & Maitenance
Do you offer free cleanings and other after-sales services for your custom-made jewelry pieces?
Yes, we provide free professional in-store cleanings for your custom-made jewelry to help maintain its beauty and longevity. In addition to cleanings, we offer other after-sales services such as tune-ups, stone tightening, and more complex restoration projects at discounted rates. Our commitment is to ensure your custom jewelry remains in excellent condition for years to come.
Do you offer maintenance and repair services for your custom-made jewelry pieces, and can you work on pieces that were not manufactured by your business?
We are committed to providing support and peace of mind to our clients by offering maintenance and repair services for products that we have manufactured. In case of accidents or wear, you can trust that we are here to help.
Due to recent changes in our insurance policy, we are currently unable to accept repair projects for items not sold or manufactured by The Classic Gem. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding.
For any inquiries regarding maintenance or repair services for pieces created by The Classic Gem, please email us at email@example.com or text us at 312-291-1436, and we will be happy to assist you.
Insurance & Warranty
What is your warranty?
Our Warranty: At The Classic Gem, we stand behind the quality and craftsmanship of our custom-made jewelry pieces. We offer a generous 6-month warranty on all items we manufacture, covering any manufacturing defects or issues that may arise outside of normal wear and usage.
The warranty includes:
- Repair or replacement of any loose or lost melee diamonds (small accent diamonds) and gemstones, not including the center stone or large side stones over 0.20 carats, as these are typically handled by your personal insurance.
- Repair of any manufacturing defects, such as issues with prongs, metalwork, or other structural concerns.
Please note that our warranty does not cover:
- Damage due to improper care, abuse, or accidents.
- Center stones and large side stones over 0.20 carats.
- Normal wear and tear, such as scratches, dents, or the natural tarnishing of metals.
- Any work or modifications which may impact structural integrity when not completed correctly by another jeweler.
We recommend having your jewelry inspected and professionally cleaned by our team at least once a year to ensure the proper care and maintenance of your piece. If you encounter any issues with your jewelry within the warranty period, please contact us so we can assess the situation and provide the necessary repairs or replacements.
For items not covered by our warranty or outside the warranty period, we offer maintenance and repair services at a trade discount, which we only offer for products that are made or sold by us.
Do you offer insurance?
While we do not sell insurance, we can offer you a complimentary appraisal so that you can get the necessary insurance in the insurance marketplace.
We partner with BriteCo, a leading eCommerce platform for appraising and valuing jewelry to provide you with the most up-to-date, fair retail replacement value and offer you an end-to-end solution from purchase to coverage (should you need coverage). Along with an industry-standard appraisal, is a complimentary no-obligation custom insurance quote which you can use as a benchmark as you shop for insurance quotes, or simply follow the prompts to get covered for peace of mind!Please note that we do not sell jewelry insurance, rather this is a courtesy recommendation for coverage while researching and performing due diligence to help our clients find the best coverage. This is a white glove and highly competitive comprehensive coverage that is flexible and hassle-free. You can read more about BriteCo here: https://brite.co/about-us/. Jewelers Mutual, State Farm, and Geico are all other companies that may offer coverage as well so please feel free to compare as each company and state may have different rates and coverage depending on each individual's risk profile.
Why Choose The Classic Gem?
Choosing The Classic Gem for your custom-made jewelry offers several advantages:
- Exceptional Value: You receive high-quality jewelry without the retail markup, ensuring that you get outstanding quality at a great value for your investment.
- Commitment to Service: We prioritize customer satisfaction and strive to build lasting relationships with our clients. A significant portion of our business comes from referrals and satisfied customers who spread the word about our exceptional service.
- High Standards & Quality: Our skilled team of designers, gemologists, and craftsmen use innovative 3D custom technology to create one-of-a-kind, tailor-made pieces that meet your vision while ensuring structural integrity and exceptional quality of build and aesthetic. We don't compromise on quality materials; each melee diamond used in our production process is fully faceted, with 58 facets for rounds, for instance, compared to the lower cost and quality single-faceted diamonds used in commercial productions.
- Responsible Mining Practices: We prioritize ethical sourcing and are committed to responsible mining practices. All our mined diamonds are conflict-free, and we also offer lab-grown diamonds as an eco-friendly alternative.
- Personalized Service: We work closely with you throughout the design process, offering personalized attention to understand your preferences, style, and budget, making sure the final piece is tailored to your needs.
- After-sales Support: We provide after-sales services such as free in-store cleanings, tune-ups, stone tightening, and restorations at discounted rates, ensuring your custom jewelry remains in excellent condition for years to come.
- Transparency: We believe in transparency and open communication throughout the design process, providing you with insights into materials, pricing, and production timelines, so you can make informed decisions.
By choosing The Classic Gem, you can be confident that you are investing in a one-of-a-kind, high-quality custom jewelry piece backed by exceptional service, responsible practices, and outstanding value.
Do you offer returns for custom-made jewelry?
Due to the nature of custom-made jewelry and special orders, we generally do not offer returns on these items, as they are specifically created to meet your unique requirements.
However, stock items or items that are already made and purchased in-store may be returned within 5 days, provided they are in original condition and not altered in any way.
Please note that international sales are final and not eligible for returns. If you have any concerns or questions about our return policy, feel free to contact us for further clarification.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept various payment methods for your convenience. Our preferred payment options are debit (in person), checks (which need to be cleared ahead of pick-up or shipping), Zelle, or ACH (most secure via the web). As a small business striving to offer the best and most competitive prices, these payment methods help us save on overhead fees, such as credit card fees, and allow us to maintain our competitive pricing.
Credit Card Payments: If you prefer to pay by credit card, we can send a web payment link for items under 5,000 USD. For purchases over 5,000 USD, credit card payments must be made in person, accompanied by a valid ID.
If you have any questions or need assistance regarding payment methods, please reach out to Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is it safe to Ship?
We provide full insurance coverage for each item based on its final purchase price during transit until it reaches its destination.
For orders under $10,000, we ship with full insurance via UPS or FedEx second-day air. For items over $10,000, we use UPS or FedEx next-day air with full insurance coverage.
All international orders are final. Prices and shipping fees do not include import and customs duties, Value Added Taxes ("VAT"), tariffs, or any other fees that the destination country may impose. The purchaser is responsible for these additional costs.