Project Planning & Timelines
How long does it take to create a custom piece?
The production timeline for custom jewelry pieces varies depending on the complexity of the design.
In-stock items are processed and shipped within 3-5 business days.
Special Orders (made-to-order, special orders, or back-ordered items) may take as little as 2 weeks and up to 2 months to fulfill, depending on the product. If you have a strict deadline, please reach out to us before placing an order, and we will do our best to accommodate.
Custom Designs may take 3 to 8 weeks (timing will vary by complexity) and will be processed and shipped within 3-5 business days of completion.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com, call/text us at 312 291 1436.
Natural/Earth Mined vs Lab Grown Diamonds
What is the difference between lab-grown diamonds and gemstones and earth-mined diamonds and gemstones?
Lab-grown diamonds are diamonds that have been created in a laboratory setting using advanced technological processes. It's important to note that lab-grown diamonds are actually real and genuine diamonds and not to be confused with "synthetic diamonds" such as cubic zirconia, diamond-coated cubic zirconia, or moissanite, which are often mistakenly labeled as lab-grown diamonds but are completely different materials. Lab-grown diamonds possess virtually the same chemical, physical, and optical properties as their natural counterparts, with the main difference being their point of origin and pricing. Lab-grown diamonds are created above ground in a lab setting, without mining the earth, while natural diamonds form underground over billions of years. With technological advancements, lab-grown diamonds have become more accessible and affordable, contributing to their growing popularity in the jewelry market.
How to Choose Between Lab Grown vs Earth Mined?
Ultimately, the choice between lab-grown diamonds and earth-mined diamonds comes down to personal preferences and beliefs. Both options provide remarkable durability, as diamonds are among the hardest gemstones on earth, boasting a ranking of 10 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness. Both lab-grown and earth-mined diamonds are considered genuine diamonds, with their point of origin and pricing being the primary differences. In terms of cost, lab-grown diamonds are typically priced at approximately one-third the cost of their earth-mined counterparts, primarily because natural diamonds, which take billions of years to form, are considered rare and have been highly sought after for generations.
Click here to read more.
What is the difference between White Gold and Platinum?
When considering the choice between white gold and platinum for jewelry, it's important to understand their fundamental differences and characteristics. White gold is not a naturally occurring white metal; it is actually composed of yellow gold mixed with other white metals such as silver, palladium, or nickel to create a lighter appearance. This alloy is then coated with a layer of rhodium plating, giving it a bright white finish. Over time, this rhodium plating can wear off, revealing the natural color of the gold alloy beneath and necessitating re-plating to restore its white luster. This maintenance requirement can contribute to the overall cost of owning white gold jewelry.
Platinum, by contrast, is a naturally white metal that maintains its color and sheen without the need for additional plating. It is significantly denser and more durable than white gold, which makes it more resistant to damage. This durability means that platinum jewelry often retains its pristine appearance for longer periods. However, platinum's superior qualities come at a cost; it is generally more expensive than white gold. The price difference between a basic style of platinum and white gold jewelry can range on average from around $300 to $500, depending on the size and design of the piece. Despite the higher initial investment, platinum's longevity and lower maintenance requirements can make it a more economical choice over time. Ultimately, the decision between white gold and platinum should be based on personal preference, lifestyle, and budget, considering both the short-term costs and long-term maintenance.
What other precious metals do you offer, and can you tell me more about rose gold, yellow gold, and their different karats?
In addition to white gold and platinum, we offer a variety of other precious metals, including rose gold and yellow gold, to cater to your preferences and style. Each metal has its unique characteristics and color variations depending on the karat.
- 14K Yellow Gold: 14K yellow gold has a cooler-tone, slightly paler tone compared to 18K, as it contains a lower percentage of gold (58.5%) and a higher percentage of alloy metals. It's more durable and scratch-resistant due to the additional alloy metals.
- 18K Yellow Gold: 18K yellow gold has a richer, warmer tone because it contains a higher percentage of gold (75%) and a lower percentage of alloy metals. It's softer and more prone to scratches compared to 14K gold but is considered more valuable due to the higher gold content.
- 14K Rose Gold: 14K rose gold has a softer, more subtle pink tone, as it contains a lower percentage of gold (58.5%) and a higher percentage of copper and silver alloys. This combination makes it more durable and resistant to wear and tear.
- 18K Rose Gold: 18K rose gold has a deeper, more coppery pink tone due to the higher percentage of gold (75%) and a lower percentage of alloy metals. It's slightly softer and more prone to scratches compared to 14K rose gold, but its rich color and higher gold content make it a popular choice.
Our experienced team can help guide you through the selection process to choose the ideal metal and karat for your custom engagement ring or jewelry piece, considering factors such as appearance, durability, and budget.
Sizing and Fit
How do I determine my ring size?
We can provide guidance on measuring your ring size, or you can visit our store for professional sizing.
What are some helpful sizing tips to consider?
Getting the right ring size is crucial for comfort and to prevent potential damage to your custom jewelry piece. Here are some helpful tips to consider when sizing:
- Factors Affecting Finger Size: Water weight, bloating, sodium, weather, and alcohol can cause your finger size to fluctuate between 1/2 to 1 whole size. Be aware of these factors when getting sized.
- Top Heavy Rings: For engagement rings or top-heavy designs, opt for a snug fit or choose 0.25 size smaller, as the ring may twist and turn easily. Rings tend to feel loose once your finger gets used to wearing them.
- Sizing Up vs. Down: It's safer to go up in size rather than down, especially for rings with many side stones or complex designs. Sizing should always be evaluated and performed by a master bench jeweler.
- Eternity Bands: For eternity bands or rings with a continuous pattern, choose a loose fit. Eternity rings cannot be sized up or down without disrupting the pattern or structure. Sizing adjustments can be made with a thicker interior or sizing shots.
- Size Estimates: Most people can comfortably wear a ring up to 1.5-2 sizes larger or 3/4 size smaller. However, it's always best to get an exact fit. Consult a trained jeweler for advice on sizing limits for specific designs.
- Sizing Wide Bands: Wide bands tend to feel more snug. Measure the base, middle, and knuckle of your finger and get an average of the three measurements. This usually results in a size 0.5-0.75 larger than your regular size.
- Ring Adjustments: If your ring is too big or spins and cannot be resized, consider adding a bridge or sizing shots. These small metal balls can be added to the interior of the ring for a more secure fit. Sizing belts can also be used at home for temporary adjustments.
It's important to consult a professional jeweler when determining the best ring size for your custom engagement ring or jewelry piece to ensure a perfect fit and maintain the structural integrity of the design.
Care, Cleaning & Maitenance
Do you offer free cleanings and other after-sales services for your custom-made jewelry pieces?
Yes, we provide free professional in-store cleanings for your custom-made jewelry to help maintain its beauty and longevity. In addition to cleanings, we offer other after-sales services such as tune-ups, stone tightening, and more complex restoration projects at discounted rates. Services are offered exclusively to TCG clients only/items that we manufactured. Our commitment is to ensure your custom jewelry remains in excellent condition for years to come.
Do you offer maintenance and repair services for your custom-made jewelry pieces, and can you work on pieces that were not manufactured by your business?
We are committed to providing support and peace of mind to our clients by offering maintenance and repair services for products that we have manufactured. In case of accidents or wear, you can trust that we are here to help.
Due to recent changes in our insurance policy, we are currently unable to accept repair projects for items not sold or manufactured by The Classic Gem.
For any inquiries regarding maintenance or repair services for pieces created by The Classic Gem, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or text us at 312-291-1436, and we will be happy to assist you.
Insurance & Warranty
What is your warranty?
At The Classic Gem, we stand behind the quality and craftsmanship of our custom-made jewelry pieces. We offer a generous 6-month warranty on all items we manufacture, covering any manufacturing defects or issues that may arise outside of normal wear and usage.
The warranty includes:
- Repair or replacement of any loose or lost melee diamonds (small accent diamonds) and gemstones, not including the center stone or large side stones over 0.20 carats, as these are typically handled by your personal insurance.
- Repair of any manufacturing defects, such as issues with prongs, metalwork, or other structural concerns.
Please note that our warranty does not cover:
- Damage due to improper care, abuse, or accidents.
- Center stones and large side stones over 0.20 carats.
- Normal wear and tear, such as scratches, dents, or the natural tarnishing of metals.
- Any work or modifications which may impact structural integrity when not completed correctly by another jeweler.
We recommend having your jewelry inspected and professionally cleaned by our team at least once a year to ensure the proper care and maintenance of your piece. If you encounter any issues with your jewelry within the warranty period, please contact us so we can assess the situation and provide the necessary repairs or replacements.
For items not covered by our warranty or outside the warranty period, we offer maintenance and repair services at a trade discount. At this time, we only provide clients services, reserved for items we manufactured or sold.
Do you offer insurance?
While we do not sell insurance, we can offer you a complimentary appraisal so that you can get the necessary insurance in the insurance marketplace.
We partner with BriteCo, a leading eCommerce platform for appraising and valuing jewelry to provide you with the most up-to-date, fair retail replacement value and offer you an end-to-end solution from purchase to coverage (should you need coverage). Along with an industry-standard appraisal, is a complimentary no-obligation custom insurance quote which you can use as a benchmark as you shop for insurance quotes, or simply follow the prompts to get covered for peace of mind!Please note that we do not sell jewelry insurance, rather this is a courtesy recommendation for coverage while researching and performing due diligence to help our clients find the best coverage. This is a white glove and highly competitive comprehensive coverage that is flexible and hassle-free. You can read more about BriteCo here: https://brite.co/about-us/. Jewelers Mutual, State Farm, and Geico are all other companies that may offer coverage as well so please feel free to compare as each company and state may have different rates and coverage depending on each individual's risk profile.
Why Choose The Classic Gem?
Choosing The Classic Gem for your custom-made jewelry offers several advantages:
- Exceptional Value: You receive high-quality jewelry without the retail markup, ensuring that you get outstanding quality at a great value for your investment.
- Commitment to Service: We prioritize customer satisfaction and strive to build lasting relationships with our clients. A significant portion of our business comes from referrals and satisfied customers who spread the word about our exceptional service.
- High Standards & Quality: Our skilled team of designers, gemologists, and craftsmen use innovative 3D custom technology to create one-of-a-kind, tailor-made pieces that meet your vision while ensuring structural integrity and exceptional quality of build and aesthetic. We don't compromise on quality materials; each melee diamond used in our production process is fully faceted, with 58 facets for rounds, for instance, compared to the lower cost and quality single-faceted diamonds used in commercial productions.
- Responsible Mining Practices: We prioritize ethical sourcing and are committed to responsible mining practices. All our mined diamonds are conflict-free, and we also offer lab-grown diamonds as an eco-friendly alternative.
- Personalized Service: We work closely with you throughout the design process, offering personalized attention to understand your preferences, style, and budget, making sure the final piece is tailored to your needs.
- After-sales Support: We provide after-sales services such as free in-store cleanings, tune-ups, stone tightening, and restorations at discounted rates, ensuring your custom jewelry remains in excellent condition for years to come.
- Transparency: We believe in transparency and open communication throughout the design process, providing you with insights into materials, pricing, and production timelines, so you can make informed decisions.
By choosing The Classic Gem, you can be confident that you are investing in a one-of-a-kind, high-quality custom jewelry piece backed by exceptional service, responsible practices, and outstanding value.
Do you offer returns for custom-made jewelry?
Due to the nature of custom-made jewelry and special orders, we generally do not offer returns on these items, as they are specifically created to meet your unique requirements.
However, stock items or items that are already made and purchased in-store may be returned within 5 days, provided they are in original condition and not altered in any way.
Please note that international sales are final and not eligible for returns. If you have any concerns or questions about our return policy, feel free to contact us for further clarification.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept various payment methods for your convenience. Our preferred payment options are debit (in person), checks (which need to be cleared ahead of pick-up or shipping), Zelle, or ACH (most secure via the web). We also accept most majaor credit cards.
ACH Transfers: For the utmost security in online transactions, ACH transfers are our top recommendation. This method is not only safe but also efficient for both parties.
Zelle: A convenient option for quick and secure payments.
Checks: If you prefer to pay by check, we accept this method under the condition that all checks must be cleared prior to the pickup or shipping of the item. This precaution ensures that transactions are completed smoothly and securely.
Credit Cards: Credit card payments are also welcome. However, please note that for items that are on clearance or discounted, a 2.75-3.75% transaction fee may be applied. This fee helps us manage the additional costs associated with credit card processing / financing, allowing us to maintain competitive pricing.
How does Shipping Work?
We ensure each item is fully insured based on its purchase price during its journey to you. Typically, items are sent to a FedEx location approved by our insurance provider, where they must be collected in person with a valid state ID. It's important that the name on your state ID matches the name on the package.
For domestic orders valued at under $10,000, we provide full insurance and use UPS or FedEx's second-day air service. For items valued over $10,000, we opt for UPS or FedEx next-day air service, also with complete insurance coverage.
Regarding international orders, please be aware that all sales are final. The listed prices and shipping fees do not cover any import and customs duties, Value Added Taxes (VAT), tariffs, or other charges that may be levied by the destination country. These additional costs are the responsibility of the buyer.